With it being National Hispanic Heritage Month it seemed fitting to title this week’s blog “Vamonos”. Vamonos can mean in Spanish either “Let’s go”, “We’re going/leaving”, or “Shall we go?” With three weeks left of the market’s season I feel like all three of these encapsulate the feelings and reality of the market. Check below to see what I mean:
- As customers we are running out of options on when we can go this particular market. There is only this Thursday, September 19, September 26, or October 3. This week there are several reasons to go as Early Bird Farm (pork) with the Twin Gardens Farm Mirai corn will be back and with us the remaining weeks of the market.
- In celebration of Hispanic Heritage month we will have Rediscover Records, 9am – 11am pulling out classic songs on vinyl with this theme in mind, as well as our Mariachi singer Miguel Nuno who will come out noon – 2pm and serenade us!
- Also the Hemmens Cultural Center and The Literacy Connection will be out with information on upcoming events, how to volunteer and get involved, and keeping you in the loop here in the Elgin community.
- The market, being seasonal, will be gone in a few short weeks. Now is the time to take advantage of vendors being close by and accessible to store up for the winter. Though most vendors do have product throughout the winter and we will have a list of what markets, stores, etc. you can go to or how to contact them to restock, but it might be more of a wait and drive.
- Also this week Auntie Vee’s cupcakes and Golden Eagle Hotdog will not be present at the market but will be back next week!
- Lastly make sure to spend your purple, green, and BMO Harris tokens this year. Because even though you can use your purple and green tokens next year, you know as well as I that they can easily get lost. So spend them these last couple weeks. Also BMO Harris tokens are not guaranteed to being available next year so use them up!
- Healthy Options – Be sure to stop by our main sponsor Alexian Brothers Health Systems tent to get free health screenings, Chiro One Wellness Center’s booth for free back screenings, Salon Couture’s booth for raffles, info on their sustainable AVEDA products, and book an appointment to take care of you! Also “Family Yoga by the River” with Daisy Bliss will be at 9:30am. Davey Tree Expert Company is also present to answer questions about your tree maintenance for the fall.
- Kid Options - Side Street Studio Arts and Elgin Public Museum will be out at the market to have interactive art and exhibits for your children to learn, play, and create in their booths. Also there will be a Babywearing International Meet-up at 10:30am at the market – so please come and join weather permitting.